Financial Aid Resources - College & Technical Training Programs



Financial Assistance Programs - College & Technical Training Programs

All students who may need financial assistance for college are encouraged to APPLY FOR AID. Even if you think you may not be eligible, you could be surprised. Students who enroll in college full-time have access to more financial aid and are more likely to complete their educational goals.

Federal Student Aid: Find the Information You Need Online

  • Types of Aid & Getting Aid
  • Financial Aid Scams Informaiton
    • A Message from the Secretary of education About Debt Relief Scams - Federal Student Aid click here
    • Avoiding Scams - Federal Student Aid click here
    • Cal Grant Scam Alert - California Student Aid Comission click here
    • It is a free scholarship - Or a scam - California Student Aid Commision click here
    • Top 5 College Student Financial Aid Scams & Fraud to Watch Out for click here
  • Financial Aid Basics video by "Financial Aid TV" click here
  • Video:
    • How do I apply for financial aid? click here
    • Does it cost to apply for financial aid? click here
    • When should I apply for financial aid? click here
    • When should I fill out a FAFSA? click here
    • Do I have to reapplyfor financial aid each year? click here
    • Do I have to wait for admission before applying for financial aid? click here
    • What does "Early FAFSA" mean? click here



  • Infomation for parent re: tax benefits, support your child and college costs click here
  • Why go to college (education and pay verses unemployment rates click here
  • Cash For College  - This link lists free Cash for College workshops in your area where you and your parents can get help filling out the FAFSA.
    • To apply for FEDERAL, STATE and COLLEGE FINANCIAL AID PROGRAMS, you NEED to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can find this form on FAFSA or by clicking on the "Apply Now" box located on the home page. PRIOR to filling out the FAFSA beginning in 2016 you will need to register for an FSA ID a user-created username and password to electronically access personal information on the Federal Student Aid Web sites.  FSA ID  informational VIDEO from Financial Aid TV
    • NOTE: Princeton Jr./Sr. High School offers a FREE Cash For College Workshop - Assistance will be available to help parents fill out the online FAFSA  application See Counselor for date 

      • 2018-19 School Year Princeton Jr./Sr. High School "Cash For College" FREE Workshop: November 6th from 5:00-6:00pm in the Jr./Sr. High School Cafeteria PHS campus. Please arrive promptly at 5:00pm and bring a copy of your 2016 filed Income Tax form(s). See School Calendar for Forms to bring to Workshop. At the workshop assistance will be provided to help students/parents or guardians fill out the online FAFSA  (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). One of our community partners from Butte College will be with us and will start the evening off with a power point presentation explaining the FASFA process, in addition he/she will be available for one-on-one assistance to answer questions. No childcare provided. Please make alternative arrangements for younger children.

  • The Cal Grant programs have TWO DEADLINES: the well-publicized MARCH 2nd DEADLINE and a deadline specifically for California Community College students, which is September 2nd. This means California Community College students ONLY can apply for a Cal Grant right through the summer, even if you missed the March deadline. To apply simply fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online and the school counselor will verify the current school year's graduating seniors Cal Grant grade point average by September 2nd. For The number of Cal Grants for the September deadline is limited and you must meet the filing deadline to be considered. It could mean a lot of FREE money for college. To see more information click here.
  • Specifically for California Community College Students if you miss the Cal Grant deadline, you should still complete and submit the FAFSA to apply for other types of aid that are available year-round. At a California community college, you may also receive a Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOG Fee Waiver), which waives enrollment fees for qualified students for the entire school year.

  • Cal Grant is a State of California financial aid program that supports California residents attending California colleges and universities.  Cal Grant can be received for up to four years and may be used at the following kinds of institutions:
    • California Community College campuses (grant amount ranges from $547 to $1,656/year)
    • FISSG Full Time Student Success Grant (NEW as of 2017-18) (grants range from $500 to $1,000 a year) *special qualifications apply
    • California State University campuses (grant amount ranges from $1,656 to $5,742/year)
      • Cal Grant B requires at least a 2.0 GPA
      • Cal Grant A requires a high school GPA of at least 3.0 GPA; if applying using your college GPA, you must have at least a 2.4 GPA
      • Cal Grant C assists with the costs of a technical or career education. provides upt to $1,094 for books, tools and equipment and up to $2,462 more for tuition and fees if you'll be attending a school other than a California community College, is available for up to two years.
    • University of California campuses (grant amount of $12,630/year) *Minimum 3.0 GPA
    • Private technical college (grant amount up to $2,462/year and $547 books,tools and equipment) **Note: must be eligible to receive Cal Grant Financial Aid (please see school financial aid department for their school specifics)
  • The Cal Grant program supports students from lower-income and middle-income households.  Students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid –FAFSA-application (for US Citizens and Permanent Residents) OR a CA DREAM Act Application (for non-citizens meeting AB540 criteria) between October 1 and MARCH 2 EACH YEAR year to be considered for Cal Grant eligibility.  In addition to the financial aid application submitted by the student, the student’s high school must also submit the student’s Cal Grant GPA to the California Student Aid Commission (Cal Grant Administration) by March 2nd . Cal Grant GPA opt-out form online.

  • Middle Class Scholarship - to view an informational PowerPoint video CLICK here. Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) provides undergraduate students a financial aid award to attend a California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) campus (does not apply to community college system). The program was developed to fund up to 40% of a students mandatory system-wide tuition and fees. For eligibility students will need to meet qualification guidelines. Students whose families earn up to $165,000 per year with total family assets of $165,000 or less are eligible for a MCS, but award amounts vary. Note: students must complete their FASFA or California Dream Act application by the March 2nd deadline. Also, students need to reapply for a new MCS award annually (each year) submitting their application by the March 2nd deadline.

  • FEDERAL PELL GRANT PROGRAM - The Federal Pell Grant is the primary federal grant and is intended to assist eligible low-and-middle income students to attend a college or university of their choice. The primary federal grant is the Pell Grant. Pell Grants are available to undergraduate students depending on their level of financial need. In addition, students who qualify for a Pell Grant may be eligible for the SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant). Click HERE for more information and/or to apply.
  • INSTITUTIONAL GRANT PROGRAMS - Most colleges/schools also have a need-based grant/scholarship programs to assist with tuition fees and other expenses. Students should check with the schools they are considering. In addition, some state and private aid programs have priority deadline dates and may require an additional forms(s). High school counselors, college financial aid offices, or state scholarship/grant agencies can provide the deadline dates and the required forms.

  • California College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veterans' Dependents - The California College Tuition Fee Waiver (CFW) program for veteran's Dependents waives mandatory system wide tuition and fees at any California Community College, California State University, or University of California. See website for eligibility requirements. This program does not cover the costs of books and parking. There are four plans eligible dependents may fall into. For more information regarding eligibility, please visit or the veterans office at the destination CSU.
  • College Board's Net Price Calculator - The Net Price Calculator is a tool that students can use to estimate their “net price” to attend a particular college or university.

  • EdFund - This link provides information on planning for college and managing a student loan(s).  

  • FAFSA - Provides grants, loans, and work-study funds to students attending college or career school. PRIOR to filling out the FAFSA beginning in 2016 you will need to register for an FSA ID a user-created username and password to electronically access personal information on the Federal Student Aid Web sites.  Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S.. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents

  • Financial Aid and College Preparation Resources for Native Americans (click here)
    • Information from the U.S. Department of Education for students and parents

    • Government Scholarships

    • Other Government resources that might be of interest

  • Foster (and former foster) Youth - If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college.

  • Federal College Work-Study Programs - Many students hold part-time jobs to supplement their income and help pay for their education. Some seek part-time work off-campus, but it can prove difficult to find a job flexible enough to work around class schedules. On-campus positions offer more accommodating schedules and may also qualify for Federal Work-Study, a government program that guarantees part-time campus work to qualifying full-time students. Students must file their FAFSA forms in order to be considered.

    There are an estimated 3,400 postsecondary institutions in the U.S.. that offer federal work-study opportunities to students. Federal work-study jobs could include tutoring elementary school students, working in a college mentor program or even joining an emergency response crew. Generally speaking, the program strives to place students in work related to their field of study, whenever possible. Some schools allow their students to count any job they find on campus as their work-study.

    Your income for the semester depends on three major factors:

    • How much loan money you qualified for and accepted
    • How many scholarships and grants you’re applying towards your tuition and fees
    • If you accepted more loans, grants or scholarships than you needed to cover tuition, room and board and facilities’ fees, the financial aid office of your school will issue a refund check. This money can be put into your bank account and applied towards books for the term and other expenses. Before spending any refund money, however, be sure to check your student bill to make sure everything has been paid for.

    • How many hours you’re allowed or able to work based on work-study or class schedules and restrictions
  • Federal Perkins Loans Program - Loans made through the Federal Perkins Loan Program, often called Perkins Loans, are low-interest federal student loans for undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need

    Here’s a quick overview of Federal Perkins Loans:

    • Available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with exceptional financial need.
    • Interest rate for this loan is 5%.
    • Not all colleges/schools participate in the Federal Perkins Loan Program. You should check with your college/school's financial aid office to see if your school participates.
    • Your college/school is the lender; you will make your payments to the college that made your loan or your college/school’s loan servicer.
    • Funds depend on your financial need and the availability of funds at your college. Click here to see if you are eligible.
  • I Can Afford California Community Colleges are affordable. Financial aid is available year-round to help pay for enrollment fees and college costs like books, supplies, and even rent in some cases. 

    • Financial aid, such as a fee waiver, grants, scholarships, work study programs and loans, is available year-round. This money can be used to help pay for fees, books and supplies, and sometimes even living expenses. - See more click here

    • Professional assistance is available at all 112 campuses to help identify the types of aid that are right for you and complete the forms. For free assistance from your local community college financial aid expert, just enter your zip code in the "Get Help Now" box on the home page of

  • Smart Guide to Financial Aid - This award-winning site has grown into the most comprehensive source of student financial aid information, advice and tools -- on or off the web.

  • U.S. Department of Education Student Information - Students and parents can explore the site for information about the Direct Loan Program, including helpful publications and tools to help manage their Direct Loans.

  • CA Student Aid Commission - Making education beyond high school financially accessible to all Californians.​​
  • ​​​​CA Gov't Education - The Department of Education serves our state by innovating and collaborating with educators, schools, parents, and community partners.